Vancouver review, lifestyle, & fashion blog.

May 08, 2012

Review: Tobi.com

I've been purchasing a lot of dressier tops for the summer lately. By dressy tops, I mean button down shirts, sheer/chiffon tops, etc. In previous summers, I pretty much lived in loose t-shirts and shorts, but I'm going to try to stay away from that this year.

I love the button down shirts from ZARA and the chiffon tops from Aritzia, but it's just not practical or economical for me to buy, let's say, ten shirts at more than $70 a piece. I decided to buy some tops from Tobi, because they have tops that are very similar to the Zara/Aritzia ones at a much lower price.

Tobi has 30% OFF new arivals and they put up new stuff everyday (I think an average of fifty or more pieces per day). I did purchase these tops close to a month ago, so they will not be 30% off anymore, but they're still affordable.

These are the ones I purchased:
tobi purchase

From left to right:

1. Ellison Good Morning Button Down Shirt $32 (reg. $47)
2. Everly Mother of Pearls Button Blouse $32 (reg. $47)
3. I.ner Dobby Top (I bought this in black & cream) $22 (reg. $32)
4. I.ner Zipping Off Top $43

Quality:

All the tops are made in the USA and are polyester. The quality is very similar to Zara's TRF pieces and the higher quality pieces at Urban Outfitters. Obviously, since the tops are polyester, they're not really comparable to the tops from Aritzia (most of which are silk or silk blend). Compared to the polyester tops at Zara, these are not as silky. I actually prefer this though, because too-silky tops for summer are a nightmare. You don't want to be sweating and wearing a top that sticks to the worse parts of your body! In particular, top #1 is actually closer in texture to the Talula Tinsley top from Aritzia. The zippers and buttons are good quality as well. Here's some pictures to give you an idea:


Colour:

ALL the tops are slightly darker than the pictures on the website. Top #4 has the most colour difference, it's more of a medium beige than the cream coloured pictured above.

Fit:

All the tops fit bigger than the size label. For example, all the tops I purchased were size small, but fit more like mediums or slightly larger than a small. The measurements of the lengths provided on the website are very accurate though. I also find that the way the top drapes on the model is almost identical to the way these pieces draped on me. The only obvious difference in draping and fit will be how small or large your bust is.

Repurchase?

I will definitely be repurchasing from Tobi. However, I'll stick to getting basic button downs as they're more likely to fit better and be closer in colour to the pictures than the more trendy pieces.
SHARE:

5 comments

  1. how much was shipping and did you get charged with customs ? nice purchase :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Shipping was free since my order was over $150. I got it shipped to Point Roberts and picked it up there so I didn't get charged anything (other than the fee the post office charges).

      Shipping to Canada is around $30 so I don't think it's worth it to get it shipped directly to my house. =(

      Delete
  2. thank you for this review ! really helped :)

    questions, Im 5'3, small busted 31-32B, waist 28, which sizes do you think is suitable for me ?
    and do sizes depend on the material too ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a small would be good =)
      For me, the fit depends on the type of clothing. I usually size up in dresses, but get the smallest size in shirts/jackets/sweaters. I would say dresses are the most iffy with sizes. The dresses with side zip fit smaller from my experience

      Delete
  3. Hi, I'm looking forward to purchasing a couple dresses from Tobi.com. My bust measures 34", waist 28" and hips 34". What size should I go for?

    ReplyDelete

© probably improbable | All rights reserved.