Vancouver review, lifestyle, & fashion blog.

February 09, 2013

Dine Out Vancouver Part 3: Bistro Pastis

We finished our DOV experience with dinner at Bistro Pastis. Like The Boathouse, Bistro Pastis also offered a $28 or $38 menu. Right as we got into the restaurant, we were greeted and seated immediately. Our server and all other employees that gave us our dishes or refilled our glasses were super polite. The restaurant itself is quite small and got quite noisy (there were several tables with babies...).

They had this little chalkboard (pictured below) that said: "Welcome friends to the show that tonight ends. Till next year."

For our appies we chose escargot and, the wild mushroom and blue cheese tart. It was my first time trying escargot (unfortunately I didn't try any in Paris) so I was pretty excited. I've read that some escargot dishes have really heavy cream sauces so I was pleasantly surprised that this one was actually quite light. The escargot was chewy and reminded me of clams. This guy sitting at the table next to us couldn't get over that he was eating snails and he didn't seem like he liked it at all!

The blue cheese tart was amazing! While the other courses were great as well, the tart was definitely my favourite part of the meal. I wish I had eaten more of it, because I probably won't be able to order it when we go back as I haven't seen it on their regular menu.
escargot
wild mushroom & blue cheese tart
 
crispy duck confit cassoulet with braised white bean and red wine jus
For the main course, I had the duck confit and my bf had the braised veal. The duck was delicious! The skin was incredibly crispy, but the meat was so juicy and moist that it just fell off the bone. I did think the dish had too much peas. I found that pieces of the duck were drowning in the peas by the time I cut them into pieces.
crispy duck confit cassoulet with braised white bean and red wine jus
The braised short ribs were also just as juicy and moist as the duck (also fell off the bone with ease). My bf really enjoyed this dish. He felt that the taste of these ribs were a nice change from the typical chop house ribs.
crispy duck confit cassoulet with braised white bean and red wine jus
crispy duck confit cassoulet with braised white bean and red wine jus
braised veal short ribs with peas and gnocchi
Lastly, for dessert, we chose the lemon tart and pear clafoutis. I only had a bite of the pear clafoutis so I can't say much about it, but my bf said it's basically apple pie but with pears. As for the lemon tart.... Wow. It was definitely zesty. While the texture of the tart was light, the lemon taste was just too overpowering even when eating it with the meringue and compote. I regret not ordering the chocolate mousse.
pomme frites

 

pear clafoutis with vanilla icecream
lemon tart with burned meringue and blueberry compote

Overall, this dinner was a great end to our first Dine Out Vancouver experience. We will definitely be returning to Bistro Pastis to try their other dishes. I'm excited for the next DOV festival and I'm planning to go to even more restaurants and write up more posts to share my food adventures!

 

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© probably improbable | All rights reserved.